How to Comply with a Notice of Violation
HOW TO COMPLY WITH A NOTICE OF VIOLATION FOR VACANT BUILDING/STOREFRONT
Buildings that are in violation of this program are subject to the enforcement of the San Francisco Building Code. Buildings that are in violation of this program will be issue a NOV, noticing the building's owner, tenants, and general public of the risk posed by the building. Buildings who do not complete the work in the time required, apply for a permit in the time required, and/or do not complete the screening process successfully are in violation.
Should the cited owner continue to fail to abate the violation(s), they will be sent to a Director’s Hearing to come before a Hearing Officer and explain why they haven’t complied. An assessment of costs, accounting for the time our inspectors spent on getting the property owner to comply will be applied to the property.
The issuance of a Notice, or Citation, or referral to an administrative hearing, is not the end of this process. Code Enforcement is finished when:
- All required corrective work is completed as verified through a final inspection by the pertinent division inspectors.
- Required permits are issued and completed, as verified by a final inspection by the appropriate division inspector in which the permit job card is signed-off indicating all work is completed.
- All assessment of costs, re-inspection fees, penalties or any other applicable code enforcement fees are paid.
- All documents necessary to revoke any pertinent Orders of Abatement are recorded.
- All related complaints on file in the Department’s Complaint Tracking System are “abated”.