You are invited to attend the Building Inspection Commission (BIC) meetings the third Wednesday of every month. Meetings are accessible, open to the public, and aired live on SFGTV Channel 78 and SFGTV website. Meetings are held at
City Hall, Room 416
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94103
The BIC may be contacted at 628-652-3510
To serve the City and County of San Francisco and the general public by ensuring that life and property within the City and County are safeguarded, and to provide a public forum for community involvement in that process.
As a policy-making and supervisory body mandated by the City Charter, the seven member citizen Building Inspection Commission (BIC) will manage the Department of Building Inspection (DBI) and the bodies subordinate to the Commission by overseeing the effective, efficient, fair and safe enforcement of the City and County's Building, Housing, Plumbing, Electrical, and Mechanical Codes, along with Disability Access Regulations.
The San Francisco Building Inspection Commission and the Department of Building Inspection were created by voter referendum in 1994. The BIC was designed to provide representation for the various communities, which interact with the Building Department. The seven different commission slots are filled by a structural engineer, a licensed architect, a residential tenant, a residential builder, a residential landlord, a community based non-profit housing developer, and a member of the general public at large. The BIC appoints the Director of DBI, sets policy, hears various appeals on issues leading up to the issuance of building permits, sits as the Abatement Appeals Board to hear appeals of Director's Orders of Abatement, and provides a public forum through their monthly meetings.
The Mayor appoints four positions and the President of the Board of Supervisors appoints three. Currently, the Building Inspection Commission consists of the following:
Raquel Bito, President
Building Inspection Commission
Department of Building Inspection
49 South Van Ness Avenue, 5th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
Phone: (628) 652-3510
Fax: (628) 652-3515
The BIC meets on the third Wednesday of every month. Meetings are accessible, open to the public, are aired live on SFGTV Channel 78 and SFGTV website, and are held commencing at 10:00 a.m. at:
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, Room 416
San Francisco, CA 94102
Video on Demand on BIC meetings are also available on SFGTV.
City Hall is accessible to persons using wheelchairs and other assistive mobility devices. Ramps are available at the Grove, Van Ness and McAllister entrances.
How to Address the Commission
PUBLIC COMMENT ANNOUNCEMENT
Hearing in person and via video and teleconferencing.
Members of the public are to participate either in person or remotely.
The public is encouraged to comment on items on the meeting Calendar or on matters within the Building Inspection Commission’s jurisdiction in advance of the meeting via Email or Phone.
Comments submitted by 5 pm the Tuesday before the meeting will be included in the record. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 628.652.3510 to request an electronic copy of Commission items on the current Calendar.
Remote Meeting Access (WEBEX)
To watch via WebEx application on your desktop/laptop:
Click the link to join the meeting - https://bit.ly/3vCN8Wm
You will then be prompted to enter the following information:
• First and Last Name: These fields are required to be entered; however, if you wish to remain anonymous, you may type “Public” in the first and last name fields.
• Email Address: This field is required to be entered; however, if you wish to remain anonymous, you may type “Public@public.com in the email field
• Click the “Join Now” button to join the meeting
Public Comment Call-In: 1-415-655-0001 / Access Code: 2488 742 3353
Providing Public Comment:
• Dial in to 415-655-0001 and then enter access code 2488 742 3353 then #
• Press # again to enter meeting as an ATTENDEE
• You will hear a beep when you join the meeting as a participant. Stop and LISTEN
• Wait for Public Comment to be announced.
• When the President or Commission Secretary calls for Public Comment, dial ‘*’ then ‘3’ to be added to the speaker line.
• You will then hear “You have raised your hand to ask a question, please wait to speak until the host calls on you.” Callers will hear silence when waiting for their turn to speak.
• Ensure you are in a quiet location. Before you speak, mute the sound of any equipment around you, including televisions, radios, and computers. It is especially important that you mute your computer (if you are watching via the web link) so there is no echo sound when you speak.
• To withdraw your question, press ‘*’ then ‘3’. – you will hear: “You have lowered your hand.”
• When the system message says “Your line has been unmuted” - THIS IS YOUR TIME TO SPEAK.
• When the President or Commission Secretary states “Welcome Caller,” you are encouraged to state your name clearly. As soon as you speak, you will have 2 minutes to provide your comments.
• Once your 2 minutes have expired, you will be moved out of the speaker line and back as a participant in the meeting (unless you disconnect). You will hear “Your line has been muted.”
• Participants who wish to speak on other public comment periods can stay on the meeting line and listen for the next public comment opportunity.
To request assistive listening devices, sign language interpreters, readers, large print agendas, or other accommodations, please contact the Commission Secretary, Sonya Harris at (628) 652-3510, or email@example.com at least 48 hours in advance of the hearing.
For questions about the Language Access Ordinance, please contact OCEIA at (415) 581-2360 and ask for the Executive Director or Language Access Compliance Officer. Language Assistance: To request an interpreter for a specific item during the meeting, please contact the Commission Secretary, Sonya Harris, at (628) 652-3510 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 48 hours in advance of the hearing.
Rules and Regulations
The Agenda is published on the Friday before the regularly scheduled meeting. Agendas are posted on the Department's website http://sfdbi.org/building-inspection-commission/meetings, the Main Library in the Government Documents section, the bulletin board outside of Room 416 at City Hall, and are also available by contacting Sonya Harris, Commission Secretary at (628) 652-3510.
Minutes are posted on the Department's website http://sfdbi.org/building-inspection-commission/meetings 10 days after approval by the BIC.