What Is A Director’s Hearing?
The Director’s representative presides over an administrative hearing used to compel property owners to comply with code violations. These code violations have not been corrected within the time frame specified on a Notice of Violation.
The property owner and building occupants are notified of the hearing through the posting of a hearing notice and the Notice of Violation at the building 10 days or more prior to the hearing date.
The property owner is also sent the hearing notification by certified mail within the same time frame.
After full and fair consideration of the evidence related to the Notice of Violation is presented at the hearing, the Director’s representative may find that outstanding code violations remain.
If this finding occurs, the Hearing Officer issues a written order called a Director’s Order of Abatement. An issued Director’s Order of Abatement contains the following information:
- The Order Number which is used to query and track the case.
- The name of the property owner, the address, and the Assessor’s block/lot of the real property in violation.
- The field inspector, and division which initiated the pertinent Notice(s) of Violation.
- The amount of time the property owner or representative has to apply for permits, call for inspection, and complete all corrective work.
- Notification that the property owner is now responsible for reimbursement to the Department for code abatement costs.
- Information regarding the property owner’s appeal rights to the Abatement Appeals Board.
The Hearing Officer may issue an Order of Abatement at the hearing, or take the matter under advisement, and issue the Order subsequent to the hearing.
An enforcement case may be “taken under advisement” to allow the Director’s Representative additional time to review all pertinent evidence.
A Director’s Order issued at the hearing is sent to the property owner by certified mail within 30 days of that hearing.
An issued Director’s Order of Abatement is recorded at the San Francisco Recorder’s Office and placed on the land records of the property in violation.
When are Director's Hearings Held?
Director's Hearings are held at 1660 Mission, Second Floor - Room 2001. Check our Director's Hearing Agenda page to view the weekly schedule of cases.
Housing Inspection Services cases are held every Thursday at 9:30 a.m.
Code enforcement has categorize cases and we have four different Director’s Hearing dates.
- Regular Cases are held every Tuesday.
- Vacant Building/Storefront are held first and third Friday of each month unless otherwise noted.
- PID boiler program cases are held the last Wednesday of every month from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Starting October 30, 2019 Code Enforcement will have Director's Hearing for the Soft Story Program held from 10:45 a.m to 12 p.m. on the last Wednesday of every month unless otherwise noted.
For more information on Director's Hearings, contact Code Enforcement Section at (415) 558-6454 or Housing Inspection Services at (415) 558-6220.