Applying for Report of Residential Building Record (3R Report)
You can submit your Residential Building Record (3R) Report application online through the web, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A 3R Report is needed prior to the sale or exchange of any residential building; except for the first sale or exchange of a newly constructed residential building within one year of the date of the Certificate of Final Completion.
Per Housing Code, Section 351(A)
It shall be unlawful for the owner of such residential building to sell or exchange same without first having obtained and delivered to the buyer the Report of Residential Building Record herein provided for. A residential building is defined as a building or portion thereof containing one or more dwelling units but not including hotels containing 30 or more guest rooms, or motels.
- A 3R Report contains building permit history only. No plumbing or electrical permits will be included. For mixed-use buildings, only building permits pertaining to the residential units will be included. Commercial permits will not be included. 3R fee is $148.00 for each report.
- Please verify that a residential unit exists in the building prior to submitting a 3R Request. 3R Reports are not issued for Commercial Buildings.
- There will be NO REFUND or CANCELLATION once the request and payment has been received. 3R fee is $148.00 for each report. There is a 2.55% convenience fee per request for online filing. Payment can only be made by Credit Cards (American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Visa) and an email address is required to process your request.
- A 3R Report is needed prior to the sale or exchange of any residential building; except for the first sale or exchange of a newly constructed residential building within one year of the date of the Certificate of Final Completion.
- We only accept 6 applications (either through online or email) per person or company per day.
- Requests are processed in the date order that they are received. We do not process RUSH orders.
- A separate application and payment is required for EACH residential building on a given LOT (for example, front and rear buildings), each condominium unit, and each co-op unit. Each request form should only contain one building address.
- To start this process, you must know the Block and Lot, AND address for the requested property.
- Requesting the 3R Report. Your 3R may be submitted online, by mail, or in-person by appointment only.
- Paying for your Request
- For mail-in requests, you must include payment through a check or money order when sending in the completed 3R request.
- If you are paying by check, the bank account holders' name must be printed on the check.
- For in-person drop offs, payment must be by check only.
- Once payment is received, we are not able to issue refunds.
- PLEASE NOTE: When completing the payment screen, please be sure to only click the SUBMIT button once or you may be charged twice for your transaction.
Contact Us. If you have questions regarding our general 3R process, please contact the Records Management Division by email dbi.records3R@sfgov.org or call us at (628) 652-3420 Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.