Request for Duplication of Official Building Plans
California Health and Safety Code Chapter 10: Building Records Section 19851.
(b) Any building department of a city or county, which is requested to duplicate the official copy of the plans maintained by the building department, shall request written permission to do so from the certified, licensed, or registered professional, or his or her successor, if any, who signed the original documents and from (1) the original or current owner of the building or (2), if the building is part of a common interest development, from the board of directors or other governing body of the association established to manage the common interest development.
All requests for plans are for VIEW FIRST ONLY – IN OUR OFFICES. We will NOT print any plans until permission is granted by the current property owner and any listed certified licensed registered professionals who stamped and/or signed the plans. EXCEPTIONS
a. We might be able to print copies when there is no design professional stamp / signature on the plan set and we have the corresponding notarized Affidavit of Owner.
b. TO VIEW AND/OR OBTAIN COPIES OF PLANS FOR BANKS you will need to submit a letter from the Bank signed by the Branch Manager to start the process authorizing you to start the duplication of plans process.
NOTE: No requests for duplication of plans will be accepted without the required Affidavit(s) of Owner and corresponding additional documentation whenever applicable
To submit a Duplication of Plans Request you will need the following,
a. Provide a Notarized Affidavit of Owner.
b. View and Complete DBI Affidavit of Certified/Licensed/Registered Professional Form for each Design Professional that signed and/or stamped each plan sheet in our office.
c. Sign the Applicant’s Declaration for Duplication of Official Building Plans in our office.
Starting the Duplication of Plans Request Process
1. Visit our offices and submit a Records Request to view the building plans to determine which copies you need.
- While viewing the plans, you will need to identify the design professionals who stamped each plan sheet and write their name and license number in the worksheet provided by the Records Management Staff.
2. Obtaining Authorization from the Property Owner
a. If you are the Property Owner and the applicant, you will be asked to sign an Affidavit of Owner (PDF) in the presence of a Records Management staff when submitting the request.
b. If you are NOT Property Owner, you are required to submit a Notarized Affidavit of Owner (PDF) to the Records Management Division at the time the request for Duplication of Plans is submitted.
c. For New Owners – please provide a copy of the recorded grant deed
d. If you are signing the Affidavit of Owner on behalf of a Corporation, LLC, etc., under certain circumstances, you may need to provide upon submittal additional documentation such as corporation documents, company minutes, Power of Attorney, etc.
The additional documents should include
- Company name
- Person’s name on the Affidavit
- Person’s title such as Managing Member
- Level of Authorization specifying that they have the Authority to Sign on Behalf of the Property Owner.
- A separate typed letter on official letterhead.
e. For Condominiums and Co-Ops Building WITH HOA
- If the applicant is not a Board Member (unit owner, contractor, agent, etc.), the Affidavit of Owner (PDF) must be signed by a Board Member, preferably the President, but other board members may sign: Secretary, Treasurer, etc. The Affidavit must also be notarized. A letter must also be provided by the HOA. We accept Board Meeting minutes which contains the name and title of the person signing the Affidavit in lieu of a letter.
- If the applicant is one of the Board Members of the HOA of the requested property, the Affidavit of Owner (PDF) must be signed by another Board Member and it will need to be notarized. A letter must also be provided by the HOA. We accept Board Meeting minutes which contains the name and title of the person signing the Affidavit in lieu of a letter.
f. For Condominiums and Co-Ops Building WITHOUT an HOA
- You will be asked to sign an Affidavit of Owner (PDF) in the presence of a Records Management staff when submitting the request. In addition, you will need to provide a notarized Affidavit of Owner (PDF) from each owner. We do not need a letter as all owners have granted permission by providing a notarized Affidavit of Owner.
g. For Apartment Buildings and Tenants in Common (TIC)
- Notarized Owner Affidavit of one of the Property Owners – generally one of the owners you are working with.
3. Pay Fees. You will need to pay the following fees when requesting a copy of plan sets. If your request more than one plan set, please multiply the fees.
a. Each permit application plan set is $48.00.
b. Mailing to each design professional $6.96.
c. $0.10 cents per page. This fee is payable at the time you pick up the copies.
4. We will mail out letters to design professionals via Certified Mail.
5. We will duplicate the plans and contact you once the design professionals respond to our approval letters or after the 30 days have lapse.
6. Please be patient. The design professional has up to 30 calendar days from the date the certified letter is mailed to respond to the request.
If you have questions about the public records process, please email us at email@example.com or call us at (628) 652-3420 Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.