Earthquakes are terrifying natural disasters with just as terrible aftereffects.
Take the necessary steps today to get your property and family ready for the next emergency. We cannot predict the next natural disaster, but together we can take the next steps in being prepared.
Having the necessary kits, tools and plans can significantly lessen the damage caused by an earthquake as well as help you bounce back faster.
Please find below resources and programs to help you prepare for an earthquake.
- Building Occupancy Resumption Program (BORP)
- Personal Preparedness
- Hazard Maps
- Helpful Earthquake Information
- Past Bay Area Earthquakes
- Soft Story Retrofit Program
Building Occupancy Resumption Program (BORP)
This award-winning DBI program allows San Francisco building owners to pre-certify private post-earthquake inspection of their buildings by qualified engineers upon acceptance of a written inspection program. Find out more about the program requirements and details.
- San Francisco Department of Emergency Management
- San Francisco Fire Department Neighborhood Emergency Response Training (NERT)
- US Geological Survey - emergency information
- Earthquake Safety Checklist
- Earthquake Safety Guide for Homeowners
- PG&E emergency information re: utility shutoff, etc.
- Have an Emergency Plan (English) (Chinese)
- U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 151-99 - Understanding Earthquake Hazards In the San Francisco Bay Region - Progress Toward a Safer Future Since the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake.
- Association of Bay Area Governments maps and other info
- California Division of Mines and Geology maps
- UC Berkeley - maps and info about recent quakes
- USGS maps
Helpful Earthquake Information
Past Bay Area Earthquakes
- San Francisco Museum info and photos from the 1989 Loma Prieta quake
- Earthquake Center info and photos from the 1906 quake