Request for Duplication of Official Building Plans
EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1, 2018
To obtain copies of the official building plans, please follow the procedures listed below.
- All requests for plans are for view first only. We will NOT print any plans until permission is granted by the current property owner and any listed certified licensed registered professionals who stamped and/or signed the plans.
- Obtain authorization from the Property Owner:
- If you are the Property Owner and the applicant, you will be asked to sign an Affidavit of Owner (PDF) in the presence of a Records Management staff when submitting the request.
- If you are NOT Property Owner, you are required to submit a Notarized Affidavit of Owner (PDF) to the Records Management Division at the time the request for Duplication of Plans is submitted.
- If you are signing the Affidavit of Owner on behalf of a Corporation, LLC, etc., under certain circumstances, you may need to provide upon submittal additional documentation such as corporation documents, company minutes, Power of Attorney, etc.
The additional documents should include:
i. Company name
ii. Person’s name on the Affidavit
iii. Person’s title such as Managing Member.
iv. Level of Authorization specifying that they have the Authority to Sign on Behalf of the Property Owner.
- A separate typed letter on official letterhead.
For Condominiums and Co-Ops Building with HOA
- If the applicant is not a Board Member (unit owner, contractor, agent, etc), the Affidavit of Owner (PDF) must be signed by a Board Member, preferably the President, but other board members may sign: Secretary, Treasurer, etc. The Affidavit must also be notarized. A letter must also be provided by the HOA. Minutes of Board Meeting including the name and title of the person signing the Affidavit may be acceptable in lieu of letter.
- If you are one of the Board Members of the HOA for the requested property, the Affidavit of Owner (PDF) must be signed by another Board Member and have that notarized. A letter must also be provided by the HOA. Minutes of Board Meeting including the name and title of the person signing the Affidavit may be acceptable in lieu of letter.
For Condominiums and Co-Ops Building without an HOA
- You will be asked to sign an Affidavit of Owner (PDF) in the presence of a Records Management staff when submitting the request. In addition, you will need to provide a notarized Affidavit of Owner (PDF) from each owner. No letter is required as all owners have granted permission by providing a notarized Affidavit of Owner.
For Apartment Buildings and Tenants in Common (TIC)
- Notarized Owner Affidavit of one of the Property Owners – generally one of the owners you are working with.
For New Owners – please provide a copy of the recorded grant deed
**** No requests for duplication of plans will be accepted without the required Affidavit(s) of Owner (PDF). ****
- Once you are ready to submit the Request for Duplication of Plans,
- Complete DBI Affidavit of Certified/Licensed/Registered Professional Form for each Design Professional that signed and/or stamped the requested plans. This form is available only at our office.
- Sign the Declaration for Duplication of Official Building Plans - Applicant. This is available only at our office after viewing the plans.
- Submit all paperwork to DBI Staff at the office.
- Pay the $48.00 Administration Fee per each plan set + current certified mailing fee for each design professional letter.
- Please be patient! The design professional has up to 30 days from the date the certified letter was mailed to respond to the request.
- If the requested property is a Bank, you will need to submit a letter from the Bank signed by the Branch Manager to start the process authorizing you to view the plans.
Please call (415) 558-6080 for further assistance.