|Track permits through our
Online Permit Tracking System
Changes to the Over-the-Counter with Plans appointment process
DBI is making changes to the Over-the-Counter with Plans appointment process. We are aware of the long wait times to schedule an appointment to submit an OTC with plans permit application and are working with Permit Center staff on improvements to the appointment system. Staff will begin to actively manage appointments, and starting in November, we will increase the number of appointments available by 50%.
Starting on Wednesday, October 28, qualifying customers can sign up for appointments through a waitlist system.
- To be eligible for the waitlist, customers need to already have an appointment scheduled (at least 14 days past the date they join the waitlist) in QLess.
- Customers on the waitlist who are offered appointments will have 24 hours to confirm their appointments when offered one.
- Customers can be on the waitlist for only one appointment. If they are offered an appointment from the waitlist, they can sign up for the waitlist again after they've completed that appointment. To sign up for the waitlist again, they must meet the minimum requirements (hold an existing appointment at least 14 days out).
- When a customer on the waitlist accepts an appointment, their existing QLess appointment for that project will automatically be cancelled.
- If a customer holds an appointment within the following 14 days, the customer is not eligible for the waitlist.
We are analyzing current appointments scheduled and will cancel any appointments that are not verifiable. Starting on December 1, customers will be limited to one appointment per week.
Scheduling a new OTC with plans appointment
If you have a new permit application for an Over-the-Counter with plans permit, you can schedule an appointment to submit your permit application in paper HERE.
Appointments to drop off OTC with plans permit applications are scheduled Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. in 15-minute increments. Customers can drop off two permit applications per appointment and are limited to one appointment per day.
Over-the-Counter permits without plans and fire-only permits
Customers can apply for Over-the-Counter permits without plans by dropping in at 49 South Van Ness from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. Monday to Friday. We can accommodate 35 customers on a first-come, first-served basis. Each customer can submit a maximum of 2 permits.
From 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Monday to Thursday, customers can drop off permit applications that require only Fire Department review. Click here for examples of fire-only scopes of work. Fire Department staff can accommodate 25 customers daily, first-come, first-served. Each customer can submit a maximum of 2 permits per day.
Please visit www.sfdbi.org/limitedservices for more information.
Updated: October 23, 2020