COVID-19 Updates from the Department of Building Inspection
DBI Services Available During Stay Home Order Period
Our office at DBI is open on a limited basis due to the Stay Home Order. We provide limited in-person permit and records production services daily, along with field inspection and complaint response services. We are available Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5pm by phone and email.
We continue to receive a large volume of email inquiries and calls. Please bear with us as we may be delayed in processing your permit and responding to your email. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this public health crisis.
- Over-the-Counter without plans permits: 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Fire-only permits: Customers can drop off applications for permits that require only Fire Department review from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- Over-the-Counter with plans permits: Schedule an appointment to drop off OTC with plans permit applications between 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- Records reproduction services: View documents and plans by appointment only
- In-person Over-the-Counter permit services
- New in-house review permit applications
- New Accessory Dwelling Unit applications online
- Virtual Pre-Application meetings
- Code enforcement inspections for reported permit complaints and violations relating to building, plumbing, electrical and disability access issues
- Housing inspections for reported housing complaints and violations relating to habitability, life and safety
- Requests for duplication of plans (You can view plans by appointment-only on a limited weekly-basis.)
We have a number of online services available 24 hours a day, seven days a week:
- Track and monitor permit and complaint building history through the Permit Tracking System (PTS)
- File electrical, plumbing, boiler-to-operate, reroofing permits instantly using an online contractors account
- File a complaint online for building, electrical, plumbing and housing issues
- Schedule inspections using an online contractors account
- Pay permits ready for issuance here
Virtual Public Meetings
We hold public meetings and hearings virtually. Some of the meetings we are hosting virtually include:
- Code Advisory Committee
- Director's Hearings - Plumbing, Building, Electrical, Disability Access and Housing
- Building Inspection Commission
- Access Appeals Commission
- Customer Update and Q&A
- Public Advisory Forum
Get the Latest News
Sign up for our online publication to receive updates on DBI’s services here
- For general questions, call DBI’s main line at (628) 652-3200 or email email@example.com.
- For technical code questions, please email TechQ@sfgov.org.
- For a specific DBI division or Program contact, review the Department’s Program Directory here.