COVID-19 Updates from the Department of Building Inspection
The Department of Building Inspection (DBI) at 1660 Mission Street remains closed to the public. We continue to serve our customers by answering calls and emails, as well, as providing permit and inspection services. We are available Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm.
Majority of Construction Allowed During This Period
Per the Order of the Health Officer No. C19-07c that went into effect on May 4, 2020, the majority of construction in San Francisco can now resume provided owners or their agents adhere to Construction Safety Protocols as required in the Order. Read more here
- For general questions, you can call DBI’s main line at (415) 558-6088 or email email@example.com.
- For technical code questions, please email TechQ@sfgov.org.
- Need to contact a specific DBI division or Program contact, review the Department’s Program Directory here.
- List of DBI's Most Requested Services
- Request a Virtual Pre-application Meeting
- Watch Our Past Virtual Events Held During this Stay Home period
Get the Latest News
Sign up for our email distribution to receive the latest update on DBI’s services here.
Submit Your Permit Online
We are accepting all permit types for online submission through the City's website. Make sure to read and follow the guidelines provided to ensure your application is complete and ready to be processed.
For the latest information on new online permit initiatives recently launched by the City, please visit here.
Together we can protect each other during this public health emergency. Stay home. Visit the City’s COVID-19 page for the latest information.
Contractors and property owners performing construction work during this period, please remember to:
- Obtain all required permits to conduct work (e.g. building, plumbing, electrical, street use, etc).
- Follow construction safety measures as required by the building code.
- Implement Construction Safety Protocols, as required by Order of the Health Officer No. C19-07c.
- Abide by construction hours as allowed from 7am to 8pm, daily, unless a special night noise permit is obtained to extend work hours.
- Practice safe job site practices, which include Social Distancing Requirements.
- Stay at least 6 feet apart
- Wash hands with soap & water for 20 seconds
- Cover coughs or sneezes
- Wipe down tools, cabs of work vehicles and other high touch surfaces with disinfectant
Filing Complaints with DBI
The public can call or go online to file a complaint with DBI relating to the following: building, plumbing, electrical, housing, disability access, and other construction-related complaints.
|Type||Telephone Number||Online Portal|
|Construction related complaint (e.g. building, plumbing, and electrical hazards, or disabled access)||(415) 558-6570||http://www.sfdbi.org/filing-complaint|
|Residential housing complaint (e.g. maintenance and habitability or life/heat safety)||(415) 558-6220||http://www.sfdbi.org/filing-complaint|
Complaints can also be made by calling 311 (open 24/7), during non-business hours.
Once a complaint is in DBI’s Complaint Tracking system, you may track it online by visiting www.sfdbi.org/dbipts.
The following public meetings are cancelled for May 2020:
- Building Inspection Commission (BIC)
- Abatement Appeals Board (AAB)
- Access Appeals Commission (AAC)
- Code Advisory Committee (CAC)
- Administrative and General Design Subcommittee
- Green Building Subcommittee
- Housing Code Subcommittee
- Mechanical Electrical Plumbing Subcommittee (MEP)
Code Enforcement Director's Hearings are cancelled for the month of May 2020.
Structural Subcommittee Special meeting is being held on May 26, 2020. Visit here for more information.
Housing Inspection Director's Hearings are occurring. Visit here for more information.
We will update this page as new information becomes available.