Peer Review RFQ Answers
As-Needed Consultant Services for Structural Design and Geotechnical Review
- When responding to RFQ#DBI2017-21STRGEOTECH, is it mandatory to use the template in Attachment V - Template Response? If so, can you please provide the template in Microsoft word format?
Yes, you will need to complete Attachment V - Template Response document. We have uploaded a fillable version of this document along with the other required documents for this RFQ. Fillable documents can be accessed at www.sfdbi.org/rfp.
- Will the City consider teams of individuals that consist of the professional engineer, an academic, and a geotechnical reviewer?
Yes, the City will consider teams of individuals consisting of a professional engineer, an academic, and a geotechnical reviewer. Each person applying for this RFQ will be considered individually based on their qualifications, experience and expertise as it responds to the RFQ.
- For a sole practi[tio]ner, the data requested for this response seems burdensome. Can the response be simplified for the project data sheets by submission of a resume?
All Respondents need to complete all the required documents (as applicable) to be considered to qualify for this RFQ. DBI encourages individuals, teams and firms to apply to pre-qualify for this RFQ. Respondents should complete all required documents to the best of their ability, adequately providing the requested information using simple, succinct language reflecting their expertise, experience, and qualifications to be considered for this RFQ.
- Does the fact that this RFP indicates reviewers will be contracted to the City, indicate a change in the previous practice that design review panels were contracted to the building sponsors per AB-082? If so, is AB-082 being re-written to reflect such a change?
Yes, it is the intent of DBI to create a pre-qualified list of consultants/professionals and academic experts from which DBI may choose prospective contractors, on an as-needed basis for up to four (4) years of the prequalification notification date, to advise the Department in structural design and plan review for privately-sponsored projects. DBI is in the process of reviewing AB-082 to reflect the use of the resulting pre-qualified pool from this RF
- Do we need to submit separate packages for each individual within the firm qualified for the professional structural engineer category?
Yes, each individual will need to provide a separate Response Package, per Section 4.2 Response Package on page 5 of the RFQ to ensure panel reviewers are able to vet each applicants’ minimum qualifications, expertise and experience to add them to the resulting Pre-qualified list.
- Can we submit review projects where the design review is nearing completion? (i.e. Within the next three months from the date of the RFP)
Yes, Respondents can submit projects where the design review is nearing completion.
- For the client references area, distinguished from the project references, can we list persons most knowledgeable about the review project and work (typically a SF DBIA employee) as opposed to the direct client (typically the buildingYes’s owner) ?
No, Respondents will need to provide the client information as requested, per 3. Client References on page 7 of the RFQ.
- Is the rate used for fee submittal to be blended for each staff position or for each firm?
As stated in Attachment V - Template Response, Respondents should provide fee submittal utilizing a blended rate for each staff position. See F.3 Cost Response on page 13 of this document for more information.
- The RFP states that reviews will be using a firm-fixed price approach, which is currently not how we have priced work for reviews and review panels. Estimating reviews to generate a fixed fee is difficult since the reviewer does not control the volume or quality of the information to be provided by the design team. Is it the intention of this RFP to change the way review have been priced?
This RFQ has been issued to create a pre-qualified list of consultants/professionals and academic experts from which DBI may choose prospective contractors on an as-needed basis to advise the Department in structural design and plan review for privately-sponsored projects. This RFQ is not a Request for Proposal (RFP) for a project. However, the resulting pre-qualified list will be activated for RFPs requiring peer review for structural design and plan review for privately-sponsored projects.
Thus, the firm-fixed price approach mentioned in F.3 Cost Response on page 13 of the Attachment V - Template Response relates to the Respondents’ hourly rates that DBI shall apply to any and all as-needed services requested by the City for the full contract period under this RFQ, as applicable. Please see RFQ Attachment I, Section 13. Each future RFP that uses this RFQ’s pre-qualified list then will generate its own estimates of applicable peer review cost using the hourly rates identified in the RFQ submittal.
- Attachment V - Template Response requests that projects must be within five (5) years from date of this RFP while B., item F. Qualifications (in RFQ) requests fifteen (15) years (page 3, f). Should sample projects be from within the past 5 or the past 15 years?
Sample projects should be from the past 15 years, per 4.3 Minimum Requirements on page 5-6 of the RFQ.
- Is it possible to submit more than two (2) Prior Projects within our response?
No, Respondents should only provide two (2) Prior Projects per the request in Attachment V - Template Response document.
- Shall we include our hourly rates in both the Letter of Interest and Attachment V - Template Response?
Yes, per Section 4.2 B.6 on page 5 of the RFQ and F.3 Cost Response on page 13 of the Attachment V - Template Response documents.
- Do we need to complete all of RFQ# DBI2017-21STRGEOTECH form and send back to you?
All required documents, as stated in the RFQ, are to be completed and submitted by Respondents to be considered for this RFQ’s pre-qualified list. Please review instructions provided in the RFQ and follow directions for DBI submittal by the Deadline for RFQ Responses date.