Online Permits - Instructions and Registration Requirements
To use the Department of Building Inspection (DBI) Online Permits System, all users must have the following:
1. Valid California Contractor License
Electrical contractors must have:
C10 license to obtain any of the electrical work offered online
C7 license to obtain any of the electrical work for low voltage offered online
- C45 license to obtain any of the electrical work for electrical sign offered online
- C46 license to obtain any of the electrical work for electrical for solar system offered online
- D28 license to obtain any of the electrical work for garage door offered online
- D34 license to obtain any of the electrical work for prefabricated office workstation offered online
Plumbing contractors must have:
- C 4 license to obtain plumbing permit
- C16 license to obtain a sprinkler permit
- C20 license to obtain a mechanical permit
C36 license to obtain a plumbing permit
C54 license to obtain plumbing permit for shower pan only
D34 license to obtain mechanical permit
2. Valid San Francisco Business License
Visit Office of the Treasurer and Tax Collector : Business Registration Certificate for how to obtain or renew business licenses. All requirements by the treasurer tax collector office must be fulfilled to release a ‘HOLD’ on your license. If a temporary Business Tax Certificate has been issued, please fax a copy to (415) 558-6170 or hand deliver to the Department of Building Inspection, Central Permit Bureau at 1660 Mission Street, 1st floor, San Francisco, CA 94103.
3. Valid Workman’s Compensation Certificate
4. Department of Building Inspection Contractor Database Registration
If you have never done business with DBI as a Licensed Contractor, you must provide the following items in person to Central Permit Bureau at 1660 Mission Street, 1st floor:
All of the above documents and
Your valid driver’s license
5. A username and password provided by DBI Online Services Support
ALL above steps must have been completed first.
The website address for the forms necessary and information on where to send them is: Instant Online Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing Permits
DBI Online Services Support will confirm that the information provided is for a valid contractor and that the contractor’s company name matches its contractor license number and business license number in the DBI Permitting system.
You will be contacted with your username and password assignment.
Please allow 1 week before receiving login and password.
Contractor and the general public may email any questions and/or issues to: DBIOnlineServices@sfgov.org