Building Inspection Commission - August 16, 2017 - Agenda
August 16, 2017 - 10:00am
City Hall, Room 416
BUILDING INSPECTION COMMISSION (BIC)
Department of Building Inspection (DBI)
NOTICE OF REGULAR MEETING
Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 10:00 a.m.
City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, Room 416
Aired Live on SFGTV Channel 78
(The BIC will take public comment on every item appearing on the agenda. Members of the public who address the Commission have the discretion on whether they wish to identify themselves for the record.)
1. Call to Order and Roll Call.
2. President’s Announcements.
3. General Public Comment: The BIC will take public comment on matters within the Commission’s jurisdiction that are not part of this agenda.
4. Commissioner’s Questions and Matters.
a. Inquiries to Staff. At this time, Commissioners may make inquiries to staff regarding various documents, policies, practices, and procedures, which are of interest to the Commission.
b. Future Meetings/Agendas. At this time, the Commission may discuss and take action to set the date of a Special Meeting and/or determine those items that could be placed on the agenda of the next meeting and other future meetings of the Building Inspection Commission.
5. Discussion on Accela permit and project tracking system.
6. Update on Best Practices Approach for Tall Building Review.
7. Discussion and possible action regarding a proposed ordinance amending the Building Code Section 107A and Table 1A-B of Section 110A to allow recovery of costs of third party experts and other permit related expenses, in addition to other requirements.
8. Discussion and possible action regarding a proposed ordinance (Board of Supervisors File No. 170870) amending the Existing Building and Fire Codes to require buildings sold or transferred after September 1, 2017, to comply with fire alarm system upgrade requirements for sleeping areas, and to exempt mandatory seismic strengthening alterations and transient Hotels from those requirements, in addition to other requirements.
9. Update on the annual cost of construction increase applied to the Department of Building Inspection’s Cost Schedule.
10. Discussion and possible action regarding a proposed Ordinance amending the Electrical Code to correct the title for the Low Voltage Lighting section and conform it to the title in the California Electrical Code.
11. Discussion and possible action regarding a proposed ordinance amending the Plumbing Code to prohibit the use of circuit venting unless approved as an alternative engineered design.
12. Discussion and possible action regarding a proposed ordinance amending the Building Code to revise the scope section of the City’s Slope Protection Act by deleting the reference to an obsolete map and re-enacting a paragraph that was omitted inadvertently in the adoption of the 2016 Code.
13. Director’s Report.
a. Update on DBI’s finances.
b. Update on proposed or recently enacted State or local legislation.
c. Update on major projects.
d. Update on Code Enforcement.
14. Review and approval of the minutes of the Regular Meeting of June 21, 2017.
Copies of all documents referred to in the agenda are available for public inspection and copying between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Building Inspection Commission, 1660 Mission Street, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103 and will be available at the August 16, 2017 meeting. [Sonya Harris, 558-6164] If any materials related to an item on this agenda have been distributed to the Building Inspection Commission after distribution of the agenda packet, those materials are available for public inspection at the
locations and during the times specified above.
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE SUNSHINE ORDINANCE
(Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code)
Government’s duty is to serve the public, reaching its decisions in full view of the public. Commissions, boards, councils and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people’s business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people’s review.
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE SUNSHINE ORDINANCE, TO OBTAIN A COPY OF THE SUNSHINE ORDINANCE, OR TO REPORT A VIOLATION OF THE ORDINANCE, CONTACT CHRIS RUSTOM BY MAIL TO ADMINISTRATOR, SUNSHINE TASK FORCE CITY HALL, ROOM 244, 1 DR. CARLTON B. GOODLETT PLACE, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94102-4689. OFFICE (415) 554-7724, FAX (415) 554-7854, E-MAIL: email@example.com
Citizens interested in obtaining a free copy of the Sunshine Ordinance can request a copy from Mr. Rustom or by printing Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code on the Internet, http://www.sfgov.org/sunshine/ and at the San Francisco Public Library.
In order to assist the City’s efforts to accommodate persons with severe allergies, environmental illnesses, multiple chemical sensitivity or related disabilities, attendees at public meetings are reminded that other attendees may be sensitive to various chemical based products. Please help the City accommodate these individuals.
As a policy-making and supervisory body mandated by the City Charter, the seven-member citizen Building Inspection Commission will manage the Department of Building Inspection and the bodies subordinate to the Commission by overseeing the effective, efficient, fair and safe enforcement of the City and County’s Building, Housing, Plumbing, Electrical and Mechanical Codes, along with Disability Access Regulations.
ACCESSIBLE MEETING INFORMATION POLICY
The meeting will be held at the City Hall Building, located at 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, 4th Floor, Room 416. The closest accessible BART station is the Civic Center Station at 8th (at the United Nations Plaza) and Market Streets.
Accessible MUNI/Metro lines servicing this location are the J-Church, K-Ingleside, L-Taraval, M-Ocean view, and N-Judah at Van Ness and Civic Center Stations; 9-San Bruno, 71-Haight, and 42-Downtown bus lines. For information about MUNI accessible services call (415) 923-6142.
The Commission meeting room is wheelchair accessible. Accessible curbside parking spaces have been designated on the Van Ness Avenue and McAllister Street perimeters of City Hall for mobility-impaired persons.
There is accessible parking available within the Civic Center Underground Parking Garage at the corner of McAllister and Polk Streets, and within the Performing Arts Parking Garage at Grove and Franklin Streets.
Accessible seating for persons with disabilities (including those using wheelchairs) will be available. Assistive Listening devices will be available at the meeting. To request a sign language interpreter, reader, materials in alternative formats, or other accommodations for a disability, please contact the Commission Secretary, Sonya Harris (415) 558-6164. Providing 72 hours notice will help to ensure availability.
Individuals with severe allergies, environmental illness, multiple chemical sensitivity or related disabilities should call (415) 558-6164 to discuss meeting accessibility. In order to assist the City’s efforts to accommodate such persons, attendees at public meetings are reminded that other attendees may be sensitive to various chemical based products. Please help the City to accommodate these individuals.
Please note: For questions about the Language Access Ordinance, please contact OCEIA at (415) 581-2360 and ask for the Executive Director or Language Access Compliance Officer. Language Assistance: To request an interpreter for a specific item during the meeting, please contact the Commission Secretary, Sonya Harris, at
(415) 558-6164 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 48 hours in advance of the hearing.
POLICY STATEMENT OF PUBLIC HEARING OR MEETING
Pursuant to Section 67.7-1(c) of the San Francisco Administrative Code, members of the public who are unable to attend the public meeting or hearing may submit written comments regarding a calendared item to the BIC Commission Secretary, Sonya Harris, at 1660 Mission Street, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103 or at the place of the scheduled hearing before the proceedings begin. These written comments shall be made a part of the official public record and these comments will be brought to the attention of the members of the Building Inspection Commission. [Twenty copies are necessary.]
POLICY STATEMENT OF PUBLIC COMMENT
Pursuant to Section 67.16 of the San Francisco Administrative Code, each member of the public may address the Commission once for up to three minutes on any agenda item.
SAN FRANCISCO LOBBYIST ORDINANCE
Individuals and entities that influence or attempt to influence local legislative or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance [SF Campaign & Governmental Conduct Code § 2.100] to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at 25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 220, San Francisco, CA 94102; telephone (415) 252-3100; fax (415) 252- 3112; web site: sfgov.org/ethics.