Green Building Requirements
In 2008, San Francisco established green building requirements for new residential and commercial buildings, as well as renovations to existing buildings. California’s Building Standards Commission subsequently adopted Title 24 Part 11 (2010), the California Green Building Standards Code (known as “CALGreen”). Chapter 13C of the San Francisco Building Code – the “Green Building Ordinance” – combines the 2010 California Green Building Standards Code with stricter local requirements.
Admin Bulletin 093 explains how San Francisco’s green building requirements are administered, including applicable forms and procedures. San Francisco Building Code Chapter 13C requires green building standards to be met by:
• All newly constructed buildings (of any size or occupancy), and
• Renovations to areas over 25,000 sq ft in existing buildings that are undergoing major structural upgrades and mechanical, electrical or plumbing upgrades.
Additionally, Administrative Bulletin 093 explains the application of CalGreen Division 5.7, which began to apply to additions of 2,000 or more square feet, as well as alterations of $500,000 or greater in value as of July 1, 2012.
The following documents, excerpted from Admin Bulletin 093, are provided for your convenience in documenting compliance with Chapter 13C of the San Francisco Building Code.
For all applicable projects:
• Attachment C-2 - Green Building Site permit Checklist (Excel) (PDF)
• Attachment D – PERF 1 GBO – Form to demonstrate the mandatory energy compliance margin of 15% beyond Title 24 2008 Energy Standards has been met. The PERF-1-GBO allows solar photovoltaics to count toward the compliance margin, and allows systems that are not considered by California Energy Commission approved software in performance-based compliance calculations to be excluded from the compliance margin calculation. The form is optional; the energy performance margin is not. (PDF)
• Attachment E – Final Compliance Verification – Form to be submitted prior to issuance of final certificate of occupancy. (PDF)
For projects applying the LEED Rating System:
• Green building submittal template for LEED projects (PDF)
• LEED checklists - which may be completed and pasted into the Green Building Submittal Template for LEED projects. You may alternately use the checklist that is included in the template.
The template above is designed for submittal documents at 24" x 36". To submit project documents at any other size (11" x 17" or greater), you will need to develop your own layout, which may extend beyond a single sheet. To develop your own layout, please make sure to incorporate the LEED checklist as discussed in the Administrative Bulletin, and to include the "Requirements" and "Verification" forms, which may be pasted from this document:
• LEED Component Columns for Custom Layout (PDF)
For projects applying GreenPoint Rated:
• Green Building submittal template for GreenPoint Rated project (PDF)
• To obtain the GreenPoints checklist: A GreenPoint Rater is required for all new residential projects (with the exception of projects opting to use LEED.) The GreenPoint Rater will provide the checklist for purposes of submittal. To obtain a GreenPoints checklist for personal use, go to: http://www.builditgreen.org
The template above is designed for submittal documents at 24" x 36". To submit project documents at any other size (11" x 17" or greater), you will need to develop your own layout, which may extend beyond a single sheet. To develop your own layout, please make sure to incorporate the GreenPoint Rated checklist as discussed in the Administrative Bulletin, and to include the "Requirements" and "Verification" forms, which may be pasted from this document:
• Green Building Green-Point Rated Component Columns (PDF)
For projects that are not required to apply LEED or GreenPoint Rated (i.e. all “other” new non-residential buildings):
• Green Building Submittal – Submittal Template C-5: Specific Locally Required Measures Only (Excel) (PDF)
• No separate checklist is necessary to complete this submittal.